Barton Creek is a long cave stretching over 4 miles! The cave consists of giant passages covered with numerous large stalactites and stalagmites. This tour is a rather relaxed Canoe ride through a pristine underground cave system carved by the Barton Creek. Using bright spotlights to point the beauty of the cave, you will be introduced to the little seen world underground. It is believed that the Maya once used this cave for ritual ceremonies. While canoeing through the cave you will see large and colorful formations, skeletal remains and other cultural artifacts left behind by the Maya centuries ago. These cave features have made it a popular Belize travel destination.
Artifacts found at Barton Creek Cave suggest that the cave was used for a variety of purposes by the Maya, including agricultural rituals, fertility rites, ritual bloodletting, and even human sacrifice.
- Tour Duration:
- 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- What’s included:
- Transportation to and from your hotel, park entrance fee, all equipment, tour guide, water
- What’s NOT included:
- Level of Difficulty:
- 45 minutes South East of San Ignacio
- Travel time to site:
- 45 minutes with about 1.5 hours tour inside the cave
- Useful Stuff:
- sunscreen, insect repellent